I enjoy tweeting at conferences. As attendees share hash-tagged tweets, the stream grows into a real-time commentary on all the great observations, quotes, quips and tips. It grows into an historical document of 140-character morsels that can be snacked on or enjoyed en masse as a thorough recap through the eyes of individuals. The content sharing creates a connected community.
Last weeks #BMAGrow Conference was an outstanding example of B2B marketers tweeting content from the 48 hours of fantastic speakers. With almost 700 attendees, and some very active tweeters, the #BMAGrow hashtag was busy for a few days. From my customary second-row aisle seat, I knocked out over 100 tweets during the conference, below are my favorite insights. These are in pure Twitter format, so please excuse the abbreviations and lack of punctuation.
- @BMAAtlanta wins the BMA Large Chapter Growth award. Highest US percentage membership growth. So excited! http://pic.twitter.com/X7z6aIxL
- Search and interactivity have created two gigantic issues for IMC: networks and negotiation. Donald Schultz
- The customer is more intelligent. Sales is now a negotiator & closer putting more responsibility on marketing. Donald Schultz
- Outgoing BMA natl president Al Maag prepping for opening remarks. http://pic.twitter.com/4R03Jozi
- Turn 4 Ps on their head: product to solutions, price to value, place to access, promo to educate. Eduardo Conrado Moto Solutions http://pic.twitter.com/P1BPJe0X
- A brand has 2 components - the image you create and the experience you deliver. Greg Brown, CEO Moto Soloutions
- Greg Brown of Motorola's meeting rule: Silence means agreement. Love it!
- Morale is tied to results. #jimstengel
- #KathyButtonBell of #Emerson says at stage gate zero, it's marketing's job 2 define customer's pain, share solution vision & value
- kathy button bell bookshelf: 50 shades of grey, usa today cover to cover every day. stay up on culture.
- Kathy Button Bell: "Social media is public relations put to music" CMO #emerson
- Divide & Conquer to get leaders to move forward with you. Make squeaky wheel an evangelist, most needy an advocate
- Execute to learn and then evolve, says Brian Chermside of Dow Corning
- wow. dow corning makes the stuff in silly putty. blast from the past
- Common theme: build your brand around your culture.
- GE's Liguori: Think about your customer's profit, not your profit. It will change the game.
- People want to work for purpose-inspired businesses that value joy,connectivity,exploration,pride& impact @JimStengel
- A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. proverbs 22:1 :: reputation!
- the ultimate question: have I treated you well enough that you would recommend my company to a friend? #BMAGROW fred reichheld
- 73%of CEOs don't believe that marketers drive revenue @kippbodnar #b2bsm
- "Your goal shouldn't be to buy #leads, your goal should be to buy #customers" via @jeffreylcohen & @kippbodnar
- 10-4-1 rule. 10 links to third-party articles, 4 links to your blog, 1 link to landing page. @jeffreylcohen
- Nice party last night at @HOBChicago thanks @cnbc @BMANational @martinehunter @bmachicago @bmaatlanta #bmagrow http://pic.twitter.com/lVg38Ck5
- If you cannot feel the idea, the idea is not good - Christoph Becker @gyro
- b2b customers are demanding more expertise, attention, support & ironically treating vendors as commoditities. oddity.
- Sales and marketing are the only two functions in the organization that have the same mission! Neil Rackham
- 2 customer types: transactional (cost/convenience focused) & consultative (advice focus) but they're not necessarily exclusive.
- 4 steps in customer decisions: 1) Recognize need 2)Compare options 3)Resolve concerns 4)Negotiate terms - Neil Rackham.
- website marketing model maturing, peaking. traffic shifting to #mobile sites, apps.
- An app is a tactic not strategy. Get into the mobile mix but be smart about it.
- To make great products, have something DICEE: Deep, Intelligent, Complete, Empowering, Elegant. @GuyKawasaki
- Reciprocation: When someone thanks you say "I know you would do the same for me." Then enable them to pay you back.
- 60% of sales decisions are stuck at "no decision." this is The Status Quo Barrier, inertia. Tim Riesterer
- break status quo by changing burden. lower the Pain of change. Make it easier to change. @timriesterer
- You need to find your company voice / personality. Once you discover/devine/define that, stay authentic to it.
The Business Marketing Association, an organization for B2B marketers. Join and grow.
Martine Hunter is the Creative Director of Inbound Marketing with the Atlanta advertising agency, MLT Creative, which specializes in B2B marketing.